A glimpse into the love, lives and laughter that make my world go 'round!











Monday, August 23, 2010

The Definition of Quiet


quiet \qui"et\ verb
1. the quality or state of being quiet, or in repose; as an hour or a time of quiet.
2. freedom from disturbance, noise, or alarm; stillness; tranquillity; peace; security. and join with thee, calm peace and quiet.
3. silent, noiseless; peaceful, tranquil; still, lacking activity; speaking very little

This is what I am listening to right now....quiet. No one is talking. The TV is off. No action figures have come alive and are seeking to take over the universe this afternoon. Rock Band is on hiatus. The chitter chatter of little voices is missing. Ahhhh..... Silence IS golden. Anyone who says otherwise is a LIAR!

Abby was so excited to see all of her friends and walk to school with them this morning. She practically BOUNCED down the stairs, fully dressed, and ready to have her hair done. This happy girl is the one I love to see in the mornings, instead of the snarling, moody diva who just can't find the right clothes to wear.

Lucas, on the other hand, said, "I don't think this is going to be a very good year" as we were almost to the front doors of the school. One of the boys in his class whines a lot, apparently. As far as he is concerned, the jury is still out on whether 2nd grade will even be worth waking up for....his teacher will have her hands full with Mr. Cynical.

And then there's Conner...oh, Conner. I thought that this was going to be a piece of cake - no big deal sending him off to high school. I think that watching him get into his dad's car to go to school may have been equally as difficult for me to watch as his first day of Kindergarten, if that's even possible. I maintained my composure all morning, but when I took Abby to her class (her teacher was also Conner's 3rd grade teacher) it happened....I. Broke. Down. I was "that mom". You know, the one who becomes a boo-hooing puddle of snot and mascara? Yep, that one. It was a horrible display of raw, my-baby-has-grown-up, and where-did-the-years-go emotion. If the classroom cameras were rolling, someone will get a good laugh later!


Oh, the roller coaster of emotion that parents ride. Good grief!


*****

4 comments:

Cecelia Winesap said...

It's ok. I'm going to do the kindergarten thing in a few years. I don't even want to think about my boy heading off to high school!

Jennifer said...

I'm waiting to see... right now Zoe is making me nuts enough that I am counting the days until school starts.... but I remember well the empty feeling in the pit of my stomach when I took Noah to his first day of preschool. I went home and just sat and stared at the wall wondering what to do with myself. Their preschool is an all-day program 5 days a week, so it is like starting big kid school.

Elena Sonnino said...

I would love to hear quiet right now. And even in two weeks when Principessa starts Kindergarten--I will be starting a new school year myself..which will be anything but quiet :( Enjoy!

The Ninja said...

I HAD quiet...until we got the puppy...now I hear puppy and dog fighting...all.the.time.