A glimpse into the love, lives and laughter that make my world go 'round!











Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Countdown to the Tardy Bell

Right now my two littlest people are sitting on the couch reading "Green Eggs and Ham". They each have their own copy to read from, and are reading aloud. It's a competition to see who can finish it first...and a battle to see who can read with the most excitement and the loudest voice. Fun stuff!

While the reading chaos is going on, my mind is running a million miles per hour. For us, school starts tomorrow so it's time to check, double check, and triple check to make sure that all of the preparations have been accomplished. Even though I have been methodically getting things done, it's irritating that I still have an equally daunting list of things that need to be tended to. Just when I think that I have a handle on things....I realize that I don't.

Richard and I ventured into the mystic world of the children tonight (aka upstairs), and helped them lay out their clothes for the week. Lucas is of the opinion that laying out his clothes for tomorrow only, is sufficient. This makes me feel the need to breathe into a paper bag. Abby had to be reminded, FIRMLY, that we are not doing morning drama again this year. She is notorious for changing her clothes after she has already gotten dressed because "I just don't like that". OH JUST SHOOT ME, PLEASE!?! Conner, on the other hand, was so thorough as to even lay out a pair of underwear along with each outfit AND shave again. I think it's fair to say that he is really looking forward to his first day as a Freshman!

Downstairs, in the final staging area, things are prepped and ready to go, too! The backpacks are arranged. Lunch kits are set out on the counter, just waiting to be filled. Updated school information forms have been completed and paper clipped for the teachers. My camera even has a fresh battery loaded in it. ....And Richard is in the kitchen making muffins for their breakfast! Such a good dad.

Even though I've been excited about school starting since the day school let out for summer vacation, there are some things that I am honestly going to miss. Waking up without a screeching alarm clock. No homework. Going to the pool to escape the heat and meet up with friends. Sonic Happy Hour with the kiddos. Taking the kids to the early movie and letting them eat popcorn for lunch. (Such a good mom, I know.) Making (and changing) plans on a whim just because we want to. All of the HUGS, kisses and sweet smiles.

It's gonna be a good year!!

1 comment:

Big Fat Gini said...

I'm happy to know that it isn't just my kiddo who's a pain in the mornings! If I could lay out his wardrobe for the rest of his life (okay, well, until he gets married) I'd do it. God forbid that child ends up going to school in plaid and stripes. It's happened before.

Hoping for a smooth transition back into your "fall" routine. Not that it's feeling so "fallish" out there today. Boo.