A glimpse into the love, lives and laughter that make my world go 'round!











Monday, June 7, 2010

Card Shark

Growing up, my family spent a lot of evenings playing games together. We enjoyed games like Go Fish, Old Maid, UNO, Battle, as well as a multitude of various other board games. One of the stand out favorites was Memory. Just the mention of this game probably makes my Dad cringe and start to twitch. *chuckle* The most enjoyable part of playing Memory, was when my brother Nathan would step up to the table and face off with my dad. Two words - brutal and beatings. *outburst of laughter* Of all the kids, Nathan was the Memory Master, and he owned almost every game that he played with us. Over time, and numerous beatings, my dad (figuratively speaking) took his toys and went home. He would not play Memory with Nathan....period. *laughing too hard - must catch breath*

This smattering of memories kept popping up in my mind tonight as I was getting SLAUGHTERED at Memory by my youngest. *grimace* Every time Luc would get a match he would giggle and gloat....not too surprising, since he's almost seven with a competitive streak a mile wide. But when I would get a match, WOW, what a fuss! Anyway, he beat me twice (horribly), before I finally turned him loose on his sister for the next game. :)

Lesson learned: Growing up, it feels A-MAZ-ING to beat the snot out of your parents at games. As a parent, you reflect back on those cocky little displays of sweet, sweet victory when you were a child, and smile humbly as your child stands up from the coffee table to do the John Travolta moves from Saturday Night Fever. Rock it Lucas, and enjoy the victory lap!

No comments: