A glimpse into the love, lives and laughter that make my world go 'round!











Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Soooo Out Of The Loop, Mom"

Richard and I are officially living in the stone age as far as Conner is concerned. Our ability to relate to what's current and relevant must have unknowingly passed us by.

He's been throwing out the names of music groups that I don't even recognize lately....and it's not even the name of ONE group, it's like a WHOLE LIST! To boot, the the names of the groups are just bizarre. Seriously strange. He plays the music on his pod, sings the lyrics, talks about the bands. He will even hand over his ear buds for me to listen to the songs that he thinks are really "beast", but as much as I try to keep up, I'm just not there.

This gives me flashbacks to when I was about 12ish. I had spent $.50 on a no-frills AM/FM radio from a garage sale that had probably just been discovered on someone's "junk" shelf in their garage. It was a skanky, dirty mess, but I cleaned it up and it worked like a charm. Along with the right to choose what station I wanted to listen to, I also realized that there was really great music out there! Music that I had never heard before!!! My virgin ears tasted Madonna, Foreigner, Chicago, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Bryan Adams....THE HAIR BANDS!!! Oh my goodness!! It was like a spiritual awakening of sorts! There was a bigger world out there that I had never known existed. A land where Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Dolly Parton, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, etc. were inspirations...NOT the major players. It was awesome!

So here we sit, *crickets chirping* watching our son discover a whole new world of music. A world where the groups that I have listened to and loved all these years are ancient and archaic. We do still share some of the same "likes" but I am going to need to invest a little more time in broadening my music horizons.

It's scary having kids. Even scarier when you see the replay of events in your own growing up years, and remember what you thought about your parents. Scary.


*****

No comments: